English for Action greatly values the contribution made by the volunteers who support our teachers and participants on a weekly basis. Volunteers are considered to be a part of the organisation and without them English for Action could not be as effective.
What does the role involve?
- Working one-to-one and in small groups with participants;
- Talking informally with participants;
- Helping the teacher prepare the learning space and materials;
- Passing on any discussions or comments by participants which may be of use when planning future lessons.
If voluteers have an interest in gaining experience in a particular area it will usually be negotiable with the teacher.
Who can apply?
We recognise that everyone has a right of equal opportunity and weclome applications from people irrespective of race, age, gender, religion, sexuality, disability. We need volunteers with the following skills and qualities:
- Commitment to treating our participants with respect
- Non judgemental approach that values different cultures
- Good English language skills
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Interest in people and their stories
- Clear DBS check (we can arrange a new one)
- some understanding or experience of teaching or learning a foreign language
We welcome applicants from our beneficiary communities, ie. people who speak English as an additional language.
Some commonly asked questions
Are the classes for adults or children?
All of English for Action’s classes are for adults.
Will I be reimbused for my travel expenses?
At this time English for Action is able to reinbuse any travel expenses for one volunteer at each class up to a maximum value of £5. Regretably if a volunteer wishes to join a class where there is an existing volunteer they will not be able to claim expenses, where both volunteers are present. Our funding for volunteer expenses comes from a restricted grant and only stretches to one volunteer per class.
Can I do a placement with English for Action?
We regret that due to the size of our organisation we do not have the capacity to offer formal teacher training placements
Can I teach on my own?
No. There will always be an English for Action teacher (paid role) who is principally responsible for the class. However, we regularly recruit for teachers to join our teaching pool and advertise vacancies on our website and social networks.